100% electric vehicle program
They’re here!! IGO has added Mitsubishi i MiEV and Nissan Leaf electric vehicles (EVs) to our already fuel-efficient fleet. Driving an EV is no different from driving a gas-fueled vehicle once you become “range aware” and familiarize yourself with unplugging the EV at the start of your trip and plugging it back in at the end.
What is range awareness?
Before driving an EV, make sure the EV you’ve reserved has a greater estimated range than the round trip mileage of your trip. We recommend calling our Member Experience team at 773-278-4446, prior to your reservation start time, to make sure your EV has enough range to complete your trip. Please note that EV’s are ideal for short trips of 20 miles or less round trip and we do our best to ensure that each reservation starts with at least a 20 mile range. If the estimated mileage of your trip is more than 20 miles, we recommend you reserve one of our hybrid or plug-in hybrid vehicles.
You must also remain range aware during your trip by continuously monitoring the EV’s estimated range guage to make sure the range is always more than the remaining distance of your trip. This is because the EV’s range indicator is a guideline. While it is generally an accurate guideline, it can fluctuate based on your driving behavior and use of the EV’s features.
It’s important for you to familiarize yourself with the basics of the specific electric vehicle before you drive it, including recharging & range. Click on the vehicle to the left to view that EV’s guide.
How much does an EV cost?
- Our EVs have the same low hourly rate as our standard vehicles
- Due to the limited range of EV’s, they do not have extended trip rates or overnight rates – only hourly.
- EVs are available between the hours of 7am-11pm, daily
I’ve reserved an EV. Now what?
- Read the vehicle guide for the model of EV you’ve reserved (see the left sidebar of this page).
- When you arrive at the EV you’ve reserved, scan in to the vehicle as you typically do. If you need a refresher on how to do that, please see this video.
- Remove the ChargePoint card from the keypad and scan the card at eth charging station to discontinue the charging session.
- Unplug the power cord from the vehicle and insert into the port on the charging station. Close the charge door on the vehicle.
- Return the ChargePoint card to the bottom slot of the keypad.
- Drive the EV! See the IGO Buddy in the glovebox for specific starting and driving information.
When your trip is complete, you will need to complete the following steps:
- Return the EV to the same location you picked it up and turn off the car.
- Open the EV charge door by pulling the lever marked with the plug icon
- Scan the ChargePoint card at the charging station to release the power cord and plug the cord into the vehicle.
- Scan the ChargePoint card at the charging station again to initiate a charge.
- Make sure the plug-in indicator light on the driver dash is illuminated or flashing.
- Return the ChargePoint card and the key fob to the keypad and then scan out with your access tage or smart card.
More tips and guidelines
- Driving and other detailed instructions are located in the glove box, including a copy of the EV’s guide (available to the left).
- The EV guide includes helpful tips on improving your fuel economy, monitoring the battery’s charge level and charging the battery.
- Help us ensure a quality experience and avoid fines:
- Before you start your trip, return the charge cord to the station so it won’t get run over and damaged.
- Bring the EV back to its home location before the available power is depleted. You will be responsible for the cost to tow the vehicle and a $75 fee if you run out of power during your trip.
- Plug in the EV and initiate a charging session at the end of every trip. There will be a $75 fee for members each time this is not done.
If you’re not quite ready to take an all-electric leap, then perhaps one of IGO’s plug-in hybrid Priuses is a better option for you now. More information on those is available at http://www.igocars.org/locations/comed_phev/.